Saturday, July 14, 2007

Random Bits of Venice Part II

This is a random assortment of my side activities in Venice, in no particular order…

This past weekend I went to see the iconic St. Mark's square and the Doge's Palace of Venice.HPIM2101

HPIM2108

-----------------------

On Sunday, I went to the Biennale art festival which happens every other year and represents modern art from countries all over the world.  It was interesting, and sometimes really strange.  Some exhibits were interactive, like this glass/mirror maze.  This is right after I attempted to walk over to Nisha and banged my head right into a glass panel.Copy of IMG_6658

The weirdest one was the exhibit from Canada.  There were hairy, decaying, fake body parts all over the place, and birds sitting on them.  Then there was a giant sculpture of a rotting man, and animals had made their new home inside of him. 

IMG_6728

My favorite was France’s exhibit by Sophie Calle about her boyfriend’s email breakup.  She had 107 women interpret the letter with interesting results.

IMG_6719 IMG_6723

-----------------------

Right now it is sale month in Italy!  They only have sales two times a year, in January and in July.  I have bought some shorts and dresses to frolic in.  Everything is so comfortable and colorful here…and still expensive.

-----------------------

Not much is new in my life..except-Today I saw my first dead person.  I went to the coop supermarket after work and near the cheese section there were shopping carts blocking off an area where the paramedics were trying to revive an old woman that was on the floor.  When we went to go pay, they had stopped trying, and there was a gold sheet wrapped around her.  It was very creepy because you could still see her heeled shoes pointing out.  I had never been that close to a dead person before.  It was quite traumatizing and I lost my appetite for the evening.  I guess that's what happens when the average age of the people in your city is 50+.

No comments: