Monday, July 30, 2007

Florence 07/30/07

So this weekend I went to Florence! I was originally going to go just for the weekend, but I decided to go early on Friday. I arrived in the morning and saw the Bargello, a sculpture museum, the science museum, the Duomo, climbed to the top of the Duomo, went shopping and bought a white dress, and chilled out in the Boboli gardens.

That evening when I returned my to my hostel room I met my roomates who were 2 brutish girls both named Jess. They invited me out to dinner with them and we went to this delicious restaurant. I ate this yummy chicken with truffle cream and avocado. There was this group of Italian men next to our table so we asked them where was a good place to out and go dancing. They suggested a club which was fun because it was a club full of Italian people, and no other English speaking people. There was just the right amount of people there and they were playing good music to dance to. Then all of the sudden the dance floor parted and there was a beauty pageant with a bunch of Italian girls in swimsuits, and then the music started up again. There was this this guy wearing a white shirt and orange pants and had a shaved head that was out of control. He would stick his hands on his hips and do this cross over thing with his legs and throw his hands up into the air. When I saw him dance, I started laughing with my head in my hands. But I avoided him by dancing with my new British girl friends.

The next morning I woke up and went to go find Sara and Steven at the train station. We went to the Accademia gallery and saw the impressive statue of David. We then walked around and went to Ponte Vecchio, a famous bridge with a bunch of gold and silver shops on it and also had really good gelato nearby. Then Steven and I went to the The Mall. The mall is this outlet mall outside of florence that sells designer goods like Gucci, Prada, dolce, Armani, Ferragamo, Burberry, etc. at half price which is still quite hefty. I bought a pair of sandals at Tods and then we headed back to eat dinner.

 HPIM2618

On Sunday I woke up and went to the Medici Chapel and bought a ciao bella shirt with gold writing and a pink firenze shirt also with gold writing. We then went to the Pitti Palace and the Uffizi gallery which houses many nice pieces of art. My favorites were the Birth of Venus by Botticelli and medusa by Caravaggio- After that I decided to head home since I had been there for 2.5 days and headed to the train station. I bought my ticket for firenze to bologna to venezia which left in 15 minutes. But then it was time and the train wasn't there! It said it was delayed 10, then 25, then 45 minutes and then delayed I was like ahhhhh! But it was slightly okay because then I just hopped on the next eurostar train in that direction at 5:15, but I technically had no seat since it actually wasn't my train :( So I sat near the door in that part in between cars near the bathrooms for an hour. Then once I got to Bologna some guy was like nee how ma and I was like NO! Sono di Stati Uniti. and shook my head. My regional train to Venice was surprisingly really nice since those are normally crappy. It was a double decker train which I was really excited about and of course sat on the top level. Then I finally arrived home after the delay and went back to my flat to find a Holly Johnson (one of my good friends from MIT) on my couch! We talked and caught up until late and this morning we walked together to Thetis since she worked here 2 summers ago and wanted to visit all of her old friends. We caught up some more, and now she is gone and heading back to France. 
Venice Part 2 116

All in all it was a good weekend!

No comments: