Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Athletics

  • For the past few weeks and future few weeks I have been going to the gym quite frequently.  I got an awesome deal at one of the best gyms in Boston – Healthworks – which is an all-female gym, and gets high reviews on yelp.  I only pay $1/day via a deal I got on Groupon, this amazing website that has different daily deals for most of the major large cities.  The catch is that a certain # of people have to sign up for the deal to be activated, but that threshold is almost always surpassed.  My Healthworks membership was $39 for 39 days which was perfect for the time being since my MIT gym card expired, and I’m leaving for China soon so I didn’t need a long-term membership.  Also Healthworks usually costs around $90/month, so huge savings there.

 

  • I’ve starting using the erg as part of my workout routine.  Sometimes the rows of ellipticals, treadmills, and other cardio machines are packed, but the ergs are never in use.  My new goal is to become part of the 1 million meter club, then you get a free t-shirt from Concept2.  At other million meter milestones you get even better prizes.  I like the incentive, as if the muscle toning and cardio wasn’t enough!  That will take at least another year though.  Look at all the muscles used!http://www.concept2.com/us/training/muscles_used.asp

 

  • I was very inspired by Tom Watson at the British Open this past weekend.  I was rooting for him, I mean if I could play like Watson at 59 years old I’d be really happy, or even if I could have his consistency right now at 22.  He held the lead all the way until the end, but sadly just couldn’t pull it off in the playoff.

No comments: