Sunday, July 12, 2009

Duck Tour!

After 5 years of living in Boston, I finally went on a Duck Tour!  I always viewed the tours as more of a tourist activity, after all I like to think that I’m familiar with Boston after a) walking the freedom trail multiple times b) taking the T everywhere and wandering about the city for years c) having visited Boston every year of my life since my grandparents live outside the city.  Regardless, I caved in and decided that indeed I did want to go on a Duck Tour after all these years, and went along with my friend Wen-fai!  As you can see she was super excited, especially having her early morning 9AM coffee. Yes, we went at 9am because we did not want to pay the online convenience fee.  The tours were Sold Out online, but the company releases more tickets day of, so we went to the ticket booth when they opened to get on the next earliest tour not sold out…which we expected to be later in the day, but was actually at 10AM.

DSCN0313

Our con”duck”tor was General Lee Lost and as we drove around the city he explained to us the history of Boston.  While I’d seen pretty much everything on the tour before, I did learn some new facts about the city.  The gold-leafed state house dome was so much shinier than I remembered, it was cool to be on the Charles River (but not in it) as always, and to get up closer to the Zakim Bridge as shown in the pics below.  Summer 2009-1

Several of the new things I learned about Boston which may or may not be interesting(I already knew the majority of the interesting landmarks and history):

  • There’s a large tiffany glass collection in a church on Boylston
  • Nancy Kerrigan got married in a church in Boston on Newbury
  • There is a really nice looking riverfront prison in Boston
  • They are building the 2nd largest skate park in the country underneath the huge highway overpass loop portion of the big dig
  • I learned more of the exact locations of some of the events of the Revolutionary War
  • On the side of the Longfellow bridge, a bridge I have walked over many times, there is this interesting fish/ship display, which I have never noticed before!

DSCN0324

I’m glad I went on the duck tour, and it was nice to hang out with Wen-Fai as well!  On the walk home I saw a plane sky writing, something I’m not sure I’ve witnessed before!  I couldn’t make out the whole phrase, but in this pic it almost looks like Heart The Red Sox!

DSCN0330

1 comment:

Dennis Ramdass said...

Do you remember what the name of the Duck was? I've been on Frog Pond Lily, Red Sox Nathan and I can't remember the name of the other one.