Saturday, August 1, 2009

More Art in my life…

On Friday I went to the Museum of Fine Arts, a place I’ve been many times before, but this time I got in for free with my MassArt ID!  I went to go see two specific special exhibits related to Venice, a place close to my heart since I lived there two summers ago.  The first exhibit was called “Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese: Rivals in Renaissance Venice”.  These three Venetians battled it out to be the best painter, and you could see how their styles differed but influenced one another in the way the exhibit was laid out.  The gallery was divided into themes rather than by artist for easy comparison.  It was interesting to see how their styles evolved over time, and some of them even completely changed their style in the late years of their life!  One of the paintings talked about the use of Chiaroscuro which made me smile and recall the days of Mr. Guilmet’s AP European History Class.

I related more to the smaller exhibit was “Mad on Color: Paintings of Nineteenth-Century Venice”.  This exhibit was tiny in comparison to the main special exhibit as it was only about 10 paintings.  I really enjoyed Renior’s and Monet’s (see below) interpretations of Venice, especially the thick brushstrokes of paint layered upon on another.

ctr_image_7862

I stopped by one more exhibit at the MFA.  It was a bunch of television screens with people singing and dancing to various Madonna songs.  I got there just as they were singing “Just like a prayer”, it was pure awesomeness.

Finally, as a birthday present to myself I bought a Wacom Bamboo tablet.  Basically its a pressure sensitive tablet that connects to your computer that you can draw and write upon.  I really wanted the Cintiq tablet, but at $2000, it was out of my price range.

DSCN0349

No comments: