Sunday, September 6, 2009

China – Beijing – Day 2

IMG_0750

The Great Wall is epic.  My mom and I decided to visit the Jinshangling portion of the wall against the urgings of our hotel.  They kept trying to convince us to go to more touristy, jam-packed, and closer portions of the wall.  This section of the wall is a further drive away, but it was well worth it.  Most people who decide to make the trek out here start at the Jinshangling section and walk to the Simitai section.  That hike takes about 5 hours and requires ascending steep and loose sections of the wall.  On this particular day it was also raining on and off, making the stone slippery.  Once we got to the wall, you could go left toward Simitai on a rugged unrepaired section of the wall, or go right on a partially rebuilt part of the wall. My mom and I decided to walk as far as we felt toward Simitai on the rugged section, return to the starting point, and then walk as far as we felt to the right.  We spent about 3 hours at the wall, and saw only about 25 other people that day compared to this possible nightmare http://greatwall.se/blog/wp-content/badaling.jpg if we went to the closer sections of the wall! We got a great workout and enjoyed this ancient marvel in peace and quiet.

  IMG_0689 IMG_0706 IMG_0726

IMG_0633At a certain point my mom stopped to take a break, and I continued on toward Simitai.  This is where I decided to turn around and meet up with my mom again.  Although I’m sure I could have climbed up this portion of the Great Wall, I didn’t really want to climb back down it.  

IMG_0650IMG_0642

No comments: