Thursday, September 10, 2009

China – Shanghai – Day 1

IMG_0995

Just steps away from our hotel was Shanghai’s main shopping street - Nanjing Road.  This pedestrian walkway has every practically every shop imaginable. 

IMG_1057

Nanjing road of the past and present

At night the street is abuzz with hoards of people and the street glows from all the florescent lighting and brightly light advertisements.  Apparently, even Paris Hilton has her own store on Nanjing road.  Not surprisingly, all the handbags in her store were massively marked down.

IMG_0983

   My mom and I went on a mini food adventure.  She bought a pound of her favorite beef jerky, we ate dumplings, I had the best drink of my life (herbal tea with grass jelly), and we shared scallion pancakes off the street despite the questionable hygiene practices of the vendor.

IMG_0981

I had an unhealthy dinner consisting of a fruity tea with passionfruit, a beard papa’s cream puff (since I had never tried one before), a mango dessert with tapoica and pomelo, and soup.  This wasn’t your ordinary soup – first they gave you a tray of ingredients including vegetables, meats, an egg, and unidentifiable other edible dishes. They then brought out a bowl of hot broth with noodles, into which we dumped the contents of all our small dishes, and the ingredients cooked themselves.  I thought this was a fun meal to eat, but there was yet more food to be tried and eaten! I never wanted to eat the same thing twice while in China, there are too many delicious and unknown things to try!

IMG_0984 IMG_0985

No comments: