Sunday, September 13, 2009

China – Shanghai – Day 4

After all the posts full of picture, this one sadly has none due to the nature of our day.

First, we ate an epic buffet sunday brunch at our hotel.  I have never seen such an immense buffet with so many types of cuisines ever before in my life.  I’ve been to a few buffet breakfasts and brunches in my hotel stays, but this one topped them all.  Free flowing alcohol and champagne, Chinese, dim sum, Mexican, Indian, Middle Eastern, French, caviar, seafood…you name it, they probably served it.  In addition to the food there was a live orchestra, dancing, and acrobatic act. There was no time for a food coma however, because we still had some last minute Shanghai sites and activities to do!

It was off to the French Concession, an artsy area full off cute trinket and clothing shops and lots of art galleries.  I saw so many beautiful photographs that I now wish I bought and had on the wall of my apartment.  After about an hour there, we headed across town to see a Chinese Acrobatics show.  The show we saw was called Era:Intersection of Time, and intertwined the elements of traditional Chinese acrobatics with modern themes and technology.  I enjoyed this combination approach, it actually reminded me a lot of the cirque du soliel show, and I was often left in awe of the performers strength, grace, flexibility, and fearlessness.  The only picture I have from the day is of 5 of the 7 motorcyclists that drove simultaneously inside a metal cage. How does one exactly decide this will be their future profession?

IMG_1335-1

No comments: